Search This Blog

Sunday 29 June 2014

Drama review for 'I hear your voice'


'I hear your voice' is a drama written by the same talented screenwriter who wrote the story for 'Dream High'.  The screenwriter is known as Park Hye-Ryun and both her works for I hear your voice and Dream High became big hits.  I will look forward to her new works from now on.  Her writing style and the way she unfolds the story and its characters is really different compared to other writers.  It's clean cut without leaving you confused.  Each episode ends with a cliff hanger, making you want to watch more.

Now that I am writing about 'I hear your voice', I'm surprised that I didn't write about 'Dream High' which is also one of the best Korean dramas I have seen so far.  In terms of the story and the characters' depth, just like 'I hear your voice', Dream High was a very well fabricated story which made the viewers grow attached to the characters and want to follow their story.



Song Sam Dong and Go Hye Mi the main characters in Dream High really left me a good impression although they did not outshine anyone at the beginning but they grew throughout the drama and in the end they shined more than anyone.

Dream High - Go Hye Mi & Song Sam Dong
There were many scenes I liked in Dream High :) lol One of my favorite scenes even includes the toilet scene when Song Sam Dong was waiting outside in the snow while Hye Mi was singing in the toilet.  That scene looked really peaceful, sweet and well shot.  It would not surprise me if Sam Dong fell for Hye Mi just then Lol ^^

You can watch  that scene by clicking on this link:
Sam Dong waiting for Hae Mi (outdoor toilet scene)

There are many good scenes and good songs in Dream High.  Definitely this is a drama that I would highly recommend to newcomers in the drama world.





Another one of my favorite scenes is the one where Hye Mi makes hand signs to help Sam Dong find the right pitch to sing although he has lost most of his hearing.  You can click on the following link to watch that touching scene:
Hae Mi helps Sam Dong sing with the right pitch



If I continue to write about Dream High, this will turn into a Dream High review instead of 'I hear your voice' review...but still I'm starting to find several common points between both dramas











Just like Song Sam Dong loves only Go Hye Mi, in 'I hear your voice' Park Soo Ha loves only Jang Hye Sung.  Even the way they break down and cry desperately to express their desperation and sadness when they learn that they might lose the one they love also makes both characters Soo Ha and Sam Dong look similar.

Click the link to watch:
Sam Dong chasing after Hye Mi and crying scene


Park Soo Ha in 'I hear your voice' hugging Hye Sung after being rescued:







                                                                             


I hear your voice - Sweet umbrella scene












Also, I wonder if it is a coincidence that the school uniform in 'I hear your voice' and 'Dream High' look kinda similar ^^
Jang Hye Sung & Lawyer Cha in school uniform
That's the first thing I noticed in episode 1 of 'I hear your voice' although I didn't know yet that the same screenwriter had written both dramas :)

'I hear your voice' school uniform

Dream High cast in school uniform


I hear your voice is a drama with many genres mixed into it creating a very interesting and original combination.  The drama includes romance, fantasy and thriller genres.


















'I hear your voice' also gives us an insight on the legal system in Korea and the legal professions of attorneys, lawyer, judge and prosecutor.  In fact, another thing I like about Korean dramas is that they are really good at detailing professions in their story line, for example the drama 'Emergency Couple' focuses on the medical field and doctors in the emergency room hence there are several surgery scenes and they use many medical procedures and terms to explain the conditions of the patients.
In the drama 'I hear your voice' as well there are numerous court scenes and legal terms used by the actors.

This drama has elements of fantasy because the male lead character Park Soo Ha has the ability to read people's mind by looking into their eyes.  With this ability Soo Ha is able to find the truth behind the lies and assist the lawyer Hye Sung in solving various cases.  However, sometimes it is better to lie than reveal the truth.

For instance, in Episode 14, meanwhile Jang Hye Sung is facing Seo Do Yeon to reveal her the horrible truth, Soo Ha is walking in a crowd, reading the passers-by's minds and thinking to himself:

''Whether it be the world or a relationship, what makes it peaceful can more often be lies rather than the truth.  Lies temporarily seal a conflict, put anxiety to sleep.  The truth is more uncomfortable than the lie; most people want to disregard the truth.  I also want to disregard the truth."

But on Hye Sung's side, she finally reveals the truth to Seo Do Yeon.
In this episode, Soo Ha realizes that Jang Hye Sung is now chasing after the truth more than himself who can see the truth.

One great moral of this drama is to forgive; not because you don't feel hatred anymore but because you don't want to spend the remaining of your life hating someone.  This is actually Hwang Dal Joong's line in the episode he is acquitted.  Hwang Dal Joong said:

''I forgive him.  I don't have much time left.  I don't want to spend the remaining of my life hating someone.  I wish that the feeling I feel before I die wouldn't be that horrible.  That's why I'm forgiving him."

Hearing Hwang Dal Joong's words, Jang Hye Sung tears up as she remembers her mother's last words which had a similar note.

The last words of Hye Sung's mother were: "You promise me.  Don't spend your life hating someone.  Once a person is born into this world, the life is not even long enough to love each other, right? okay?"

On the other hand the judge Seo Dae Suk is a hopeless case because even in the end, he does not admit his mistake and persists that he did nothing wrong.

Now lets move on to the lighter parts of the drama i.e the romance between Hye Sung and Soo Ha.

Child Soo Ha & teenager Hye Sung

In fact, there is a considerable age gap between Soo Ha and Hye Sung...  Hye Sung is much older than Soo Ha who is just a 19 year old high-schooler when the drama begins.  However, because of their history together, I think their love story is really sweet.  Jang Hye Sung is Park Soo Ha's first first love (cheos sarang) since she was the one who saved his life when he was 11 years old.  At that age, Soo Ha promised that he would protect Hye Sung who put her own life at risk to save him.


Soo Ha and Hye Sung were eventually separated for several years but Soo Ha remembered Hye Sung and kept his promise to protect her no matter what.


Despite their age gap, the two of them make a really cute couple.




     

If you're looking for a good drama to watch, I would highly recommend: 'I hear your voice' :)  Enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment